Sunday, September 20, 2009

THE JOB

       This week has been rather busy. I’m currently waiting on my place of employment to come calling. The wait has been anxious and unnerving. I’m waiting to start my career with the Department of Homeland Security. The hiring process was long and vigorous with every family member being interviewed in person by a man with a gun and a badge who asked personal question in regards to me. I have been waiting nearly four months to be set to a Southwest Border location and I spent my summer in Portland Oregon working on my fitness to ensure that I will never get hurt or outdone in the line of duty.
         Monthly newsletters are sent to me in regards to border and customs issues such as new smuggling tactics and what large drug bust occurred while entering into the United States. They also speak of weapon usage and the type of weapon that is issued to all agents. The standard issued weapon is a G-Lock 22. Before I read the monthly newsletter I had no clue what a G-Lock 22 was nor have I ever shot a fire arm. So for the past two weeks I have dedicated myself to shooting a friend’s G-Lock 22 so that I will not be the only chump who does not know how to shoot when I report to duty. I also cannot leave the United States until I report to duty which seems rather odd so therefore I no longer have a passport. The reason that was stated was for medical issues, the government did not want to spend the money to have any medical exams repeated if I should leave the country. This rule that I’m obeying is rather funny and I have no idea why vacationing or leaving the country would be such a huge issue. The only thing that comes to mind is the fear of the swine flu which seems rather drastic. This rule seems to cause problems in my personal relationship as well. My significant other owns a home in Guadalajara, Mexico and with many relatives or close family friends residing there it is the perfect vacation spot. My better half seems not to fully understand that I do not have a passport and constantly asks when we can go to Guadalajara which becomes rather unnerving.
        It has been rather hard to tell my family my good news. My family is mostly dominated by my grandmothers who are conservative Irish Catholic. When I told them both that I would be leaving soon they both cried and I have never seen them cry before in my life. Not even when my Grandfather’s passed away did they shed a tear. Seeing them cry was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. It nearly brought me to tears to see two ladies that I hold so close reduce to tears over a decision that I have made. Once they gathered their emotions they congratulated me and one proceed to call me a “glan as do heabhair” which means something like you’re a dumbass in Gaelic. I had no idea what the phrase meant so I had to ask my cousins who live in Boston and they just laughed at me when I said it.

       Before I depart there are a few loose ends that I need to clean up. Such as my courses at San Jose State will I have to withdraw or will the Government allow me to stay for the semester, where will I leave my car and what should I do with my furniture. I always seem to thrive under pressure so once the call comes that I must report I will figure it all out.

Vocabulary words


G-Lock 22- A handgun that is very popular in the law enforcement community. It is a .40 caliber weapon which refers to the size of the bullet used. The G-Lock is also regarded as a very durable weapon that will fire under all circumstances and elements.

Glan as do heabhair- Saying in the Gaelic language that refers to the lack of intelligence of another individual. Very similar to the American phrase dumbass

No comments:

Post a Comment