Sunday, October 25, 2009

THE OVER ACHIEVER......

I have an older sister who is roughly two years older than me. She and I have turned out to be great friends over the past five years but before that not so much. I use to think she was kind of a dork and over achieved in school way to much. However, over these last couple of years I have turned into her number one fan. My sister is currently working on finishing her Doctorate at the University of Illinios in Biology.

My sister is the direct opposite of me. She likes math and science; I love socail sciences. She hates to write papers I enjoy doing the background research. I came upon a tough spot while I was attending college in Nebraska. My advisor left while I was finshing my senior thesis to take a job at Fresno State, which really left me in a tough spot. I eventally ended up failing my senior thesis in large part due to the other professor not understanding what it was about. So it left me one course short of my college degree. After that occured i wanted nothing to do with school or politics. My older sister encouraged me to protest the graded to the president of the university and make it known what had happened. So I did nothing really happened due to the Professor having tenure but it still leaves a nasty little mark on her record with the University.

After my appeal was shot down I wanted to take some time away from school and was not sure if I wanted to go back. Until a few Christmas' ago my older sister called me out on being lazy telling me that I have worked to hard in regards to my education to just give up. So I decided to enroll at SJSU and take a bunch of class' that I have already taken just so I can get a little piece of paper. For giving me the motivation to go back to school I owe my sister more than she will ever know.

I also help my sister out a lot with her relationship problems. She has never really had a steady boyfriend until recently and this guy was a piece of work. He cheated on her, stalked her, and verbally abused her all the while she kept putting up with it. I finally had to tell her that every guy lies to stupid girls so stop being stupid and believe it or not my sister acutally realized how dumb she was being. She eventually left the dirt bag behind, took a step up the relationship ladder, and started dating a guy who apprecaites that she is a brainiac.

My older sister will be defending her Doctorate in the Spring of 2010 in Champagne, Illinois and I will be the first one in line to give her a huge hug and to tell her how proud I really I'am. My sister is a huge over achiever in everything she does but she sets a great example for me and I can only hope to have my PHD like she does.

Defenition.

Defending the Doctorate also reffered to Defending the Doctoral Thesis- Student who has prepared the thesis and research defends it against questions from other members of academia. The public or other University staff is also permitted to ask questions. While defending your Doctorate only black and white should be worn.

Tenure- Basically implying that a probationary period has been passed and the postion is now permanet for the employee

Doctorate Degree- Highest degree awarded by a post graduate University. Usually three to five years of graduate work has been completed. Along with a final dissertation approved by professors as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment