Sunday, October 4, 2009

CRAZY WEEK!!!!

This week has been rather crazy, full of long home work assignments and hospital visits. My better half has been under going some serious health problems as of late and it is really scary. The Doctors thought she might have cancer in her bone marrow. The tests that the medical staff has made her go through are endless which have resulted in many sleep less nights on my end. She recently under went a bone marrow biopsy. The bone marrow biopsy really caused my better half allot of pain throughout the last two weeks. Every test they kept running showed that her red blood cells were diminished along with her platelets being low. However, there was also good news. The test results showed that there were was no malignant signs of cancer. The bad news was my significant other was significantly anemic. Meaning she suffers from iron deficiency. The red blood cells are half of the amount that they should be. The medical staff at Mills Peninsula Hospital have no clue what is going on and it is starting to piss me off.

To treat the iron deficiency my better half must sit in a room for an hour and forty five minutes taking an IV. The IV is filled with iron and salen solution.  This process took place last week for the first time and really stressed out my beatiful girlfriend. During the treatement ir made her rather drowsy and seemed to take away all of her energy. When this was going on all I could do was hold her hand and rub her head. It is a pretty helpless feeling watching the one you care so much for suffer. I would gladly trade places with her in a New York minute.

When the treatement finally ended I stopped by a sushi restuarant to brighten her spirits. My better half loves sushi and miso soup. It was great to see a smile come from her beatiful face when her food arrived. It also made me feel great to see her finally smile.

Watching the beatful brown smiling face, I told my girlfriend "that we were going to do the Bridge to Bridge run in San Francisco on October 4". When I said that, her face stopped smiling and she got kind of upset. She just glared across the table at me with a death stare. So I told her "That I would run it and she could walk it and after we could spend the day in the City". She lightend up to the idea and seemed pretty enthused. So on October 4th I ran the 12k Bridge to Bridge run in an hour and three minutes. My beatiful girlfriend and aunt walked the 12k in roughly two and a half hours.

When my girlfriend and aunt finally crossed the finish line their smiles were ear to ear. They were so happy that they completed the course. Without knowing it my girlfriend was not thinking about how much the past two weeks have sucked and how sick she was. Instead she was happy for the first time in a long time and that meant more to me than anything.


DEFENITION

Bone Marrow Biopsy- Test to determine if bone marrow cancer is present. The patient is given local anesthesia in the hip only after they received a morphine drip. Once the patient is not feeling anything a specail needle is placed into the hip then hammered into the bone of the hip.

Platelets- promotes blood clotting. So if individuals blood cannot clot they can potentialy die due to bleeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment